All-Natural, Timber Frame Interpretive Sign
A rugged and beautiful structure, our Interpretive Sign is a great addition to any park, museum, or municipality hoping to highlight a natural feature or historic building to the public. A curving cherry beam ties together the Black Locust posts with traditional mortise and tenon joinery. The timber members are all made from Black Locust, a naturally rot-resistant wood species from our northern New England forests. As part of the kit, we supply metal mounting brackets that easily attach to your display panel. If desired, TimberHomes Vermont can help facilitate design and production of your display. Placed low to the ground, the Interpretive Sign is easily viewed and enjoyed by all at your scenic overlook, riverside park, or museum.
Pricing for Interpretive Sign
Single unit: $1,400 + Cost of Display Panel.
2-4 units: $1,300 + Cost of Display Panel.
5 or more: Call for pricing.
- Credit Card transactions will add 3.25% to the total price.
- Prices do not include installation or delivery. We are happy to provide a quote!
Lead time: Ranges from 3 – 12 weeks, depending on the season and demand.
Interpretive Signboard Specs
What’s in the Kit: Fully assembled timber frame base, metal display panel brackets, and Display Panel (if ordered through TimberHomes Vermont).
- Posts 5.5” x 5.5” Black Locust
- Angled header is white oak;
- Lower tie beam is mortice and tenon curved cherry;
- Braces are made of steel.
- Sign Area: There are 8+ square feet of potential signage space on the Interpretive Signboard; a metal supporting plate secures the signboard to the timber frame.
- TimberHomes designs and hand-crafts each Interpretive Signboard frame to order.
- TimberHomes does not manufacture the display panels, we subcontract with a professional sign maker.
THVT has relationships with both graphic artists and professional sign makers. So, if you need help with either the design or securing a sign, THVT can easily facilitate the process. If you prefer, THVT will be happy to supply just the Interpretive Sign frame and mounting brackets, leaving the rest of the project for your team.
- Display Panel Material: In the past, THVT has installed either High Pressure Laminate or PVC display panels on our Interpretive Signs. Both materials are durable and made for exterior usage. High Pressure Laminate display panels, on the upper end of cost, is highly resistant to UV light and even vandalism.
- Display Panel Pricing: The cost of either material varies widely, and it is necessary to price out each project on an individual basis. Historically, the price of display panels has landed between $100-$200 per sq. ft.
Standard Options for Interpretive Signboard
- Customizing: We are happy to make any adjustments you have in mind for an hourly labor/design rate plus materials.
- Stretch the Size of the Sign Area: Stretching the post spreads wider than 3’ will incur an additional cost of $300 to cover the necessary design time and materials.
Interpretive Sign Installation
Our Interpretive Signboard is simple to install and the work can be readily done by a group of 2+ strong people following our instructions. With your purchase of a TimberHomes Vermont Interpretive Sign, we will include installation instructions:
- The frame will come completely assembled, and ready to be installed into the ground. After the holes are dug, the project should take 2+ people about an hour to complete.
- Separately, THVT will supply 2 stainless steel mounting brackets (and fasteners) to attach the display panel to the Interpretive Sign frame. It will have been pre drilled and prefit to the frame.
- If THVT is supplying the display, the brackets will come preattached to the High Pressure Laminate or PVC display ready for reinstallation to the frame.
Installing the Interpretive Sign Frame (standard size):
- We recommend calling dig safe to ensure that it is safe to dig in your desired location
- Dig two 12″ holes, 4′-6″ deep, 3′ apart on center.
- We recommend the use of a 12″ x 4′ sonotube installed in the post hole locations
- Insert posts into tubes and backfill with clean gravel, checking the unit for plumb and level
- We DO NOT recommend backfilling posts with concrete.
- Install display panel brackets and display with provided fasteners.
Delivery & Shipping
Our prices assume pickup at our shop in Vershire or Montpelier, Vermont. A single Interpretive Signboard can fit easily into the back of a full-sized pickup truck. Please discuss vehicle requirements with us depending on your order.
- Pick-up: Pick up your signboard at our shop in your own vehicle, and we will help you load.
- Delivery: We charge a rate of $1.70/mile round trip to deliver.
- Shipping: For single units to be delivered more than 200 miles from Vershire or Montpelier, Vermont, we will ship by common carrier, in which case the unit will come on a custom-made pallet, and protected by plywood. Please contact us for a current packing and shipping quote. There must be a forklift available at the delivery address.
The Nature of Wood
Our kiosks are built using natural timbers from our local forests. We work with high-quality timbers and individually choose the wood for your kiosks with care. Trees are unique and, as such, are not perfectly uniform. The wood used for our handcrafted timber frames may have knots, wormholes, or blue stain. As green wood dries it may develop checking or cracks, it may shrink or twist, and like all of us, it will grey over time. These characteristics make natural wood products unique. None of these characteristics affect the structural integrity of the wood or the kiosk.
We strongly recommend that the posts bottoms are inspected annually. Be sure to keep the gravel around the post bottoms clear of soil and other organic matter. Doing so should ensure decades of service from your Interpretive Sign.