Historic Timber Frame with a Durable, UV-Resistant Signboard
The design of our Interpretive Signboard is noteworthy for its durability, clean lines and craftsmanship. A curving cherry tie beam is connected to white oak posts with traditional mortise and tenon joinery. The posts, braces, and pegs are all made from white oak, a naturally rot-resistant timber species from our northern New England forests.
A single Interpretive Signboard can provide up to 8 square feet of display space for a scenic overlook, riverside park, or museum.
Pricing for Interpretive Signboards
Single unit: $1,200 + Cost of Display Panel.
2-4 units: $1,100 + Cost of Display Panel.
5 or more: Call for pricing.
Note: Prices do not include installation or delivery. We are happy to provide a quote!
Lead time: Ranges from 3 – 12 weeks, depending on the season and demand.
Interpretive Signboard Specs
What’s in the Kit: Interpretive Signboard, fully assembled.
- Posts 5.5” x 5.5” white oak 1/4” chamfer throughout;
- Angled header is white oak;
- Lower tie beam is mortice and tenon curved cherry;
- Braces are made of 2”x2” white oak.
- Timber Joinery: Secured with white oak or black locust pegs.
- Sign Area: There are 8.16 square feet of potential signage space on the Interpretive Signboard; a metal supporting plate secures the signboard to the timber frame.
- Signboard Pricing: Display panel pricing has historically been between $100-$200 per sq. ft.
- The size of the display panel can be easily changed and its price varies greatly depending upon a sign’s square footage and shipping.
- TimberHomes will need a proof from your designer; we can recommend excellent design professionals if desired.
- Display Panels can be made of:
- High-pressure laminate sign with a metal supporting plate;
- Or, two-part PVC panels with aluminum “U” trim.
- TimberHomes designs and hand-crafts each Interpretive Signboard frame to order.
- TimberHomes does not manufacture the display panels, we subcontract with a professional sign maker.
Standard Options for Interpretive Signboard
- Frame: The standard signboard is unstained, and will gray with time. We offer solid stains by Arborcoat in Mission Brown and Imperial Gray – $50/ unit.
- Location Signs: Cherry tie beam can be hand routed with a location or dedication into the face of the frame, $225 for up to a maximum of 14 letters.
- Posts Options: Upgrade to black locust for ultimate rot resistance for $400/unit. Still a local species.
- Customizing: We are happy to make any adjustments you have in mind for an hourly labor/design rate plus materials.
- Stretch the Size of the Sign Area: Stretching the post spreads wider than 3’ will incur an additional cost of $300 to cover the necessary design time and materials.
Interpretive Signboard Installation
Our Interpretive Signboard is simple to install and the work can be readily done by a group of 4 people following our instructions. If you would like help with installation, we’ll be happy to provide a quote. The following are basic instructions (we provide more comprehensive instructions with your Interpretive Signboard):
- 4 people will be needed to lift the unit out of the crate; we include straps at signboard and upper-most post corners for easy lifting of the unit.
- Dig two 12″ holes, 4′-3″ deep, 3′ apart on center.
- We recommend that the posts get backfilled holes around posts with ¾” crushed stone or sand (do not use concrete footings).
Delivery & Shipping
Our prices assume pickup at our shop in Vershire or Montpelier, Vermont. A single Interpretive Signboard can fit easily into the back of a full-sized pickup truck. Please discuss vehicle requirements with us depending on your order.
- Pick-up: Pick up your signboard at our shop in your own vehicle, and we will help you load.
- Delivery: We charge a rate of $1.70/mile round trip to deliver.
- Shipping: For single units to be delivered more than 200 miles from Vershire or Montpelier, Vermont, we will ship by common carrier, in which case the unit will come on a custom-made pallet, and protected by plywood. Please contact us for a current packing and shipping quote. There must be a forklift available at the delivery address.
The Nature of Wood
Our kiosks are built using natural timbers from our local forests. We work with high-quality timbers and individually choose the wood for your kiosks with care. Trees are unique and, as such, are not perfectly uniform. The wood used for our handcrafted timber frames may have knots, wormholes, or blue stain. As green wood dries it may develop checking or cracks, it may shrink or twist, and like all of us, it will grey over time. These characteristics make natural wood products unique. None of these characteristics affect the structural integrity of the wood or the kiosk.