The Picnic Shelter
These picnic shelters serve as a place to gather out of the weather, take a break, grab a bite to eat, and experience a little creative shelter. In a “micro-park” that might be tight for a fixed, covered pavilion with separate picnic tables, this unit gives both the table and the roof, in a single structure that can be readily moved from place to place. Like all of our outdoor structures, the Picnic Shelter features hand-cut, traditional timber framing joinery (mortise and tenon), and naturally rot-resistant timber from northern New England.
Specifications for Standard Picnic Shelters
- Timber: sills, posts & feet are white oak, upper girt is naturally curved cherry, all other timbers white pine with 1/4” chamfer throughout.
- Joinery: principal timber joints secured with white oak or locust pegs, all other main connections secured with stainless TimberLok® or coated Log Hog® screws.
- Roof: channel drain metal over 2×3 strapping.
- Table and Bench: 2×6 white cedar with 1×4 white oak rib in bench.
Standard installation assumes the Picnic Shelter kit is being picked up at our shop. See the next section for delivery options.
- What’s in the Kit
- Roof assembly, 8’4′ x10′
- Table/post assembly approx 6′ wide, 8’long, 6′ high,
- Set of 4 braces
- All necessary pegs and fasteners
- Instructions for assembly. Package will require a flatbed or trailer at least 8’6″ x 20′.
- Installation Requirements:
- A flat gravel pad or grassy lawn 6′ x 8′
- Four precast concrete piers. In this case, unit will not have feet. We can provide a drawing.
- Assembly requires about 10 people, or a boom truck.
- Allow 8 weeks from order to completion
Delivery Options and Customizing your Picnic Shelter
- Delivery: Call for pricing.
- Installation: we will charge $100 per unit for our driver to work with you to complete the install. If we need to provide additional people, cost is $.75/mile/person each way + $100 per person per unit
- Shipping: Call for current pricing
- Location Signs: hand carved into cherry girt: $250 up to 20 letters. See photo on the Custom Kiosk page for an example of font.
- Roof Options
- Chamfered rough sawn pine, Top Guard, galvanized drip edge, Cedar Breather, white cedar shingles, and white cedar ridge cap- $350
- Steeper or shallower roof pitches, or Japanese style curved rafters (call for pricing)
- Omit White Oak Feet, and install on concrete piers – pricing upon request
- Scribed to Boulder Feet: Oak sills can land on natural boulders, pricing upon request. See an example of this in a timber framed timber framed entry, third from last photo.