The Custom Kiosk
A recent custom kiosk installation for the Rochester Area Sport Trail Alliance (RASTA)
Front view of the Custom Kiosk
The Custom Kiosk raises the bar on the Classic with some curvaceous flare. The Custom is larger than the Classic, and has more dramatic timber frame joinery, featuring a curving cherry tie beam. From that standard design, there are many possible variations including bigger signboards, two-sided signs, signs made of local cedar in lieu of plywood, corkboards, standing seam roof, and other customizations.
Like all of our kiosks, the Custom Kiosk is built with locally sourced, green timber and features traditional mortise and tenon joinery.
Specifications for Basic Custom Kiosk
- Posts: are 6×6 white oak, for excellent durability without using treated wood.
- Upper girt: is naturally curved cherry, all other timbers white pine with 1/4” chamfer throughout.
- Principal timber joints: secured with white oak or locust pegs, all other main connections secured with stainless TimberLok® or coated Log Hog® screws.
- Roof: is rough sawn pine with chamfered edges, Top Guard®, cedar breather, white cedar shingles, galvanized drip edge & cedar 1×4 ridge cap.
- Sign board and Cover: can be T&G eastern white pine or 3/4 AC plywood, custom stained. Entire 46″x 30″ display area is surrounded by cherry frame. White oak door frame with plexiglas window is hinged and lockable, and covers a 24″x30″ cork board display area. Locked display area is also framed in cherry.
Standard Installation Procedure
Standard installation assumes the Custom Kiosk kit is being picked up at our shop. See Delivery Options in the following section.
- Whats in the kit: roof assembly, legs, signboard assembly fasteners, and instructions. Unit requires a flatbed truck or trailer at least 6’6″ x 12′ clear area. We will help you load, you provide needed straps.
- Installation Requirements:
- Two 16″ holes, minimum 4′ deep, 5′ apart on center.
- Backfill with crushed stone.
- Six to eight people should be able to install a Custom kiosk in two hours.
- Allow 8 weeks from order to completion.
Delivery Options and Customizing your Kiosk
- Delivery: we will charge $1.50/mile each way to deliver, plus $100/unit for loading and assisting with unloading.
- Installation: we will charge $50/unit for the driver to work with you to complete the install. If we need to provide additional people, cost is $0.75/mile/person each way, plus $50 per person per unit.
- Shipping: for locations beyond 200 miles it may be possible and less expensive to deliver by common carrier. Please call for details.
Customizing your Kiosk
- Location Signs: hand carved into cherry girt: $275 up to 20 letters. See photo below for an example of font.
- Roof Options:
- Upgrade roof to standing seam – $300 inquire for color options
- Steeper or shallower roof pitches, or Japanese style curved rafters (call for pricing)
- Benches: Back to back benches, cedar slats on white oak frame (as in the photo on top left of page) – $350 in kit form, and come with additional installation instructions.
- Post Options: For ultimate rot resistance, upgrade to black locust posts. Call for pricing and availability.
- Scribed to Boulder Feet: feet of posts can land on natural boulders, as in the photo of the model above. Pricing upon request. See an example of this in a timber framed entry, third from last photo.