Classic Trailhead Kiosk
A classic kiosk on the Appalachian Trail in Norwich, VT.
Cedar shingles and brown metal drip edge on kiosk roof.
Spruce up your trailheads with our handmade mortise and tenon kiosks. With white oak posts, these classic kiosks are naturally rot-resistant. A variety of signboard, roof, and finish options allow us to customize the design to your specific needs. All of our kiosks are built with locally sourced, green timber and feature traditional timber frame joinery.
*Please Note A Recent Design Change*
We’ve changed our classic kiosk design so that the installation is simpler, the timber connections are all traditional mortise and tenon joinery, the design is more appealing overall, and is symmetrical front to back. The first two photos above show a ‘stretched version of this new design on the Appalachian Trail in Norwich, VT. See the specification sheet at left for details on the new design, and take note that there are no braces in the new classic to be screwed on. All other photos on this page show the old version of the classic kiosk.
We can make the older style on request, but as of 2017 will charge $100 extra/ unit because of additional material handling and setup.
Specifications for Standard Classic Kiosk
Our trailhead kiosks feature:
- 6″ x 6″ White Oak posts for excellent durability from a local timber species, without using treated wood.
- Pine crossbars, two front braces, and roof framing.
- 6 mortise and tenon joints pegged with hand-riven hardwood pegs.
- Coated or Stainless steel hex screws with copper washers for all other main connections.
- Chamfered (eased) wood corners and edges for looks and ease of handling.
- 1-inch rough-sawn pine roof deck with eased edges, unstained.
- Plywood signboard is 42″ wide by 32″ high.
- Roof: rough sawn pine with chamfered edges and channel drain metal roof.
Standard installation assumes the Classic Trailhead kiosk kit is being picked up at our shop. The kit will fit in a standard 8′ pick-up, and we’ll help load. For Delivery options, see the See the next section for delivery options.
- What’s in the Kit:
- Fully Assembled roof
- Post and Signboard assembly
- A single instruction page, and all needed fasteners & braces
- Installation Requirements:
- Two 16″ holes, 4′ deep, 4’4″ apart on center.
- Backfill with crushed stone
- Should take four people about an hour to complete the installation and fabrication
- Allow 8 weeks from order to completion
Delivery and Additions
A variety of options are available to match your specific needs:
- Delivery: We will charge the Federal Standard loaded mileage rate of $1.50/mile each way to deliver, plus $20/unit for loading and unloading. We can fit up to 6 units on our truck and trailer.
- Installation: We will charge $50 per unit for the driver to work with you to complete the install. If we need to provide additional people, cost is $0.75/mile/person each way, plus $50/person/unit.
- Shipping: For single units to be delivered more than 200 miles from Vershire it will probably be more economical for us to ship by common carrier, in which case the units will come on two pallets, one for legs, the other with everything else. Please contact us for a current packing and shipping quote.
Customize a Classic Kiosk
- Customizing: We are happy to make any adjustments you have in mind, but the change from our product line to a design/build arrangement costs $50/hr for design work, plus the net change in cost of materials, plus $40/hr for estimated cost of labor changes.
Common Ways of Customizing
- Location signs (above the signboard): Hardwood boards are sanded and oiled, and letters are hand-routed. Price: $190 for a sign with 20 letters, add $3 per letter above 20 (space for about 40).
- Roof: Upgrade to cedar shingles (clear eastern white cedar, 5” reveal, cedar ridge cap and brown metal drip edge, as shown above) add $275.
- Signboard cover: Standard display area is simply stained plywood (as in cedar roof example above.) There are two options for covering your signboard with a 24″x32″ plexiglas door.
- Screwed on pine frame, stained (as in photos above in Fairlee and Stowe, VT)- $150
- Top-swinging cherry picture framed (as in the Standard Mini Kiosk) – $250
If you choose to have a door, the remaining 18″x32″ area will be stained 1×6 pine T&G for easy posting of short term notices.
- Stain: Signboards will be stained Mission Brown (as in all photos). Custom colors: $40/unit, unless you provide the stain, in which case, deduct $40/unit.
- Post Options: For ultimate rot resistance, use black locust posts for $200/unit. Availability may be limited, please call to discuss.
- Benches: Back to back benches, cedar slats on white oak frame (as in the photo on top left of page) are $350 in kit form, and come with additional installation instructions.
- Stretched Version: extend the signboard area to 72″ x 48″ for an additional $250.
- Painted Signboard: ask for the signboard to be painted in Arborcoat Imperial Grey